Potter Mania (again)

Yes, the case of the Potter Fever has hit Singapore shores yet again.

For those people who don't already know, I have never read a single Harry Potter book, and do not intend to do so, ever. There is one exception to that though, which is if the school decides to make Harry Potter a Literature book, then in that case it's another matter. But I think the chances of that happening is positively low, (or should that be negatively low), and therefore I do not have much to worry about.

But I do know all the spoilers to the new book. I don't quite understand them, but I can shoot them at you anyway if I want to.

People queued up for how long to get the book? People even booked hotel rooms just to be nearer to getting the book. I have seriously better things to do with the money. How about helping Cancer patients? (I would usually have said kidney patients but in the light of the recent events.. nevermind.) Even buying a Livestrong band at an exorbitant price is better than spending 50 dollars on a book. We all know that the price is going to come down. Just look at Order of the Phoenix. The price when the book was first launched was close to 50 bucks too. Just that now, it's going for a mere $7.95!

So, the moral of the story is, either you wait patiently for the price of the book to go down, or you stalk the library in the hope of getting your hands on a copy (warning: this method wastes a considerable amount of time, and might also get physical), or maybe you could join the mile-long waiting list for the book your friend has, or perhaps download it off the internet, or even better, simply not read it in the first place.

If you had to know, I do not regret not reading the book at all. I always have the spoilers, and not to mention, several (crazy) friends who will willingly summarize the entire thing into 2 minutes. In the end I always end up knowing the story, but I still haven't quite figured out the details, but I'm not interested anyway.

Someone who is a hardcore Harry Potter fan, care to enlighten me on the attractive force of this fictional character some British author dreamt up?

Actually to tell the truth, if there had been way less hype about Harry Potter and all, I might actually have picked up a random copy and randomly read it. But with the current situation, I doubt that will happen.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment