Olympics 2012

Ah yes. The Olympic bids. The thing which has been keeping me away from Raffles City and it's surroundings. The thing which has caused the Singapore police force to come up with great big concrete blocks painted neon yellow and black. It's a really bad combination, in my opinion, but hey, it catches the eye. Even if it's because the colour combination is just that bad.

For those people who haven't realised it yet, London won the bid. It was really a fight between Paris and London, and although I believe a lot of people thought that Paris should have won, I think that I'm glad London won instead of Paris.

The reason behind that thinking is that Paris is a really beautiful and quaint city, with all the old-world charms. The architecture is definately not what you would considered modern, and the entire city is made up of styles from roughly the same period. Of course there are exceptions, but so few that it hardly makes a difference. The atmosphere just isn't quite modern, it's stuck somewhere in the past, and that makes it special, almost magical.

Wherever the Olympic games are held, the city has to undergo transformation for the games, and I don't ever want Paris to change. It's perfect as it is right now, and had they won the bid, I would really be sad for the part of Paris which just had to go to make way for the Olympics. It sounds a little selfish, I know, it's just that I really don't want Paris to be 'spoilt'.

London on the other hand, already has the elements of a city which has undergone transformation, or what I would like to call the 'architectural revolution'. As a result, although I still believe that some part of London would be spoilt, the damage done would not be as great as the damage done to Paris.

And besides, I just have the feeling that if the atheletes were to go to Paris, they would guzzle and stuff themselves silly and end up not being able to run/swim/whatever properly. Whereas in London... there's really nothing much to eat is there?

I know I'm going to be criticized upside down. I can feel it coming.. right around the corner at me.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment