Western influx

Have you noticed that there has been a rather large influx of westerners in Singapore in the past week or so?

I suspect that it has something to do with the IOC thing and also because of the fact that it's the summer holidays over there in all those western countries.

But if I were them, I seriously wouldn't come to a small island one miserable degree above the equator in summer. Because over there in my homeland it's already hot enough at 20something degrees, and over here in Singapore, it's 30something everyday, day and night.

Maybe they don't appreciate nice cool weather.

Point is that I've been noticing them at food courts in particular, and I must say that they do not understand the typically Singapore dynamics of table stalking and the likes. Yesterday I was at the Parkway foodcourt carrying out the table stalking exercise. Yes, I did it again.. I'm guilty myself.

There was a bunch of nice people there who offered us their seat and even tried to finish up their food faster so that we could have their seat. Well, I don't know their names but thank you whoever you are, if you ever read this.

Meanwhile while the table stalking was being carried out, there was a certain lady with an American accent who came and asked me what was the most famous Malay dish. I thought for a while, simultaneously staring at the mee goreng and nasi goreng stalls for inspiration. I finally concluded with nasi lemak. She seemed pleased enough so I left it as that. After I got my seat, I went to buy yong tau foo.

I realised that anyone not acquainted with Singaporean habits would not find it easy to buy food in a food court or hawker centre, especially at the so called rush hour.

Ah wells, the perils and advantages of living in a multi-cultural, multi-racial city, whereby everyone lives harmoniously together and we have such a rojak of cultures and customs, not to mention food, that we become Uniquely Singapore.

Sheesh. That just sounded like a propaganda advertisment from the Singapore Tourism Board or something. But then again, I suppose there is a certain amount of truth in it.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment