Cold

Last week I came back from Taiwan, and it was colder than expected.

I think the whole world is experiencing a cold spell. Everywhere is snowing earlier than it should, and temperatures are dropping really low and really fast.

I guess it might be fun for people like me who live in places like Singapore where it is just hot and humid and nothing else the whole year round.

Snow thrills me, and I love it.

I suppose that I love it only because it is a rarity, a novelty of sorts, and as a result I find it special.

However, I think that this year might just be a bad year for an early and colder winter. Because 2005 has been a year of natural disasters, and there are lots of people out there who are suffering because of the early onset of winter. I think that in their case they'd rather be in Singapore feeling hot than freezing to death.

Snow is fun, when it's light and fluffy and there's not too much of it. It's fun when it first snows, when the flakes first hit the grass. The snow is fresh. After that the snow gets stale. And overnight it turns to ice and frost and it isn't fun anymore.

But of course, snow is only fun when you have warm, waterproof clothes on, good sturdy shoes which keep the cold and the damp out, and it's only fun if you have the knowledge that there will be a warm meal and a warm bed to look forward to at the end of the day.

Maybe one day if I have the chance to experience snow again, I should try camping outside in the cold and miss dinner. I don't think it'll be a nice feeling and I'll probably give up halfway through the night and retire to the heated room.

But what about those who don't have a choice? They have to do that every night in the cold and the worst of winter hasn't even hit yet. I don't want to think about it further.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment