FAM

FAM was a once in a lifetime thing, because I don’t suppose I’ll ever be 16 again, I’ll ever be in RGS as a student again, and I don’t suppose an all-girl environment is that easy to come by again. So this event deserves a supremely long entry.

I warned you.

Now that I think of it, FAM was highly amusing. And as much as I was dreading all the extra trouble that came with it, it was still relatively interesting.

What I found especially amusing was at Simei, Neeti came in, for some reason or other stared at me, and had this “OMG WTH” look on her face. What she was thinking I really don’t know.

I went to find Sheena at 4 plus at the hotel, and we bo liao-ed together for about 30 min I think. That is, of course after she finished laughing at me, and I finished laughing at her.

Sheena had this wonderfully short black thing which she said was her dress. There were 2 possibilities to me, either it was just damn short (which it turned out to be), or it was just because Sheena was erm, rather vertically challenged. I think it turned out to be a combination of both.

Then yx called and said that she was coming and so we went down. And then we realised that she wasn’t actually there yet. Yeah, and when yx saw us, she had a good laugh. But we laughed at her shoes also.

We got hungry and called Zhao and company to buy food for us because we were not about to go down orchard road in that state. Yeah, state is a good description. Zhao and company were doing their hair at Far East.

Then they came back with food, and interesting hair. Especially Lou’s. Because it’s already naturally messy, and after that it turned out to be, well, messier. So we had further laughs, all around. Rather fair in that sense.

So people changed into their dresses one by one and I was amused. But I suppose everyone else was amused by me too.

Zhao’s dress amused me because of it’s price.

Lou’s dress’ price didn’t really amuse me, but the price of her shawl shocked me. It cost more than my dress.

Xin Miao’s dress didn’t really make me gasp.

Sheena’s dress was, short. There was very little cloth. And it turns out that the less cloth there is, the more the item costs! It’s absolutely not value for money.

Yx’s dress.. I didn’t really expect her to buy it but she liked it and so she did in the end. She spent her time sitting in a rather not-ladylike-way, and pulling it up.

Juliet’s dress was okay I suppose.

Later when Lyn came in, the back and the butterflies made me laugh. Then I discovered that it wasn’t even a dress. But it did look like one.

M’s dress later was what I had expected, but you see, she had been going on about her arms being fat (and I didn’t exactly agree with her) but she insisted they were. So she brought this shawl thing.

Hamsie’s dress was the cheapest of the lot! And her $2 shawl put Lou to shame. After all, a shawl is indeed just a piece of cloth with a little trimming.

On a random note, heels suck.

Zhao successfully got makeup on yx. Everyone was amused. I suppose yx was having weird resisting thoughts, expressed through the guttural sounds she kept spewing.

Sorry yx, but I think there’s no way you can get out of that sort of thing unless you’re a guy (who is not a S.N.A.G or a metrosexual), or you live in the Stone Age or something.

Prom itself was an affair which I didn’t really expect to be the way it was.

I hardly recognised people, and I had to look twice to remember who they were. I suppose it probably was the same the other way round with me.

We registered and got this bag thing which was filled with various things. I didn’t actually realise that the bag was filled with things until later, but that’s just me. There were 2 mentos sweets, and yx asked if that was a hint. Then there was this cute animal clip thing, and I got a white rabbit. Yx got a black rabbit. M got a cat. It suited her perfectly. xm and zm got Dalmatians. So much for all that.

Zhao, Xin Miao, Jia Ying and me sat down at Table 31, because we were assigned to sit there. I think it’s quite stupid to go for prom and sit with people other than your classmates. Thankfully the rest of them were nearby and we moved around a lot.

I had a look at the prospective menu (which shouldn’t really be called a menu because that implies choice, which I don’t supposed we had), and the menu (or list) reminds me of a Chinese wedding dinner. The choice of stuff was roughly around there.

I hardly ate and I spent most of my time drinking F&N orange drink (which was diluted and I didn’t really like it but I drank it anyway).

In between eating (or in my case, drinking diluted F&N), I moved around to the other tables and said hi to people and the camera came in rather handy.

I do suppose I did shock several people, including Mrs Chew. She commented that it was probably the most feminine state in which she had seen me in, ever, or something to that effect.

I think that she’s probably right, because it was most likely the most feminine state I have ever been in the last 8 years.

After watching performances and speeches and all the rest of it, as well as taking over 100 photos, we decided to go back and crash Ju, Lyn, zm, xm, cna’s hotel room. Hung around there for a while, and I couldn’t stand the heels and the dress anymore. So I got rid of both.

In due course, we decided to take a walk to Cine to try book tickets for HP the midnight show. But we were not successful at all. They said that HP was fully booked for 3 days straight. Oh well.

Walked to Lido and Lyn’s heels were understandably killing her. We reached and discovered that it was closed. So we decided to take a really short cab ride to the Swensens at Crown Prince to eat ice cream and make ourselves happier. As luck would have it, the usually 24/7 Swensens happened to be closed just that night. Great timing. I think they planned it. So we ended up in the Cheers at Cine instead.

In cheers, we bought ice cream, chips, drinks.. and we discovered cheap thrill ice cream. It’s this cheap ice cream which comes in 2 flavours, strawberry and chocolate. Juliet started it. She bought a tube of cheap thrill ice cream for $1.50 and she proceeded to carry out the cheap thrill.

The cheap thrill is basically this structure with a lever and you stick the tube of ice cream into this slot and pull the lever down. Of course you’ve got to place a cup below the opening of the slot where you put the ice cream and collect the ice cream which basically has just been pressed and nothing spectacular has happened to it. Had you eaten it out of the tube, it would have tasted exactly the same. However, the proceedings of transferring the ice cream from one container to another is rather amusing and fun. Hence the name “cheap thrill”. Of course that is not the real name. Please don’t sue me.

After Juliet proclaimed that the cheap thrill ice cream actually tasted nice above the cheap thrill itself, I decided to follow suit and was subsequently joined by yx. So we had 3 people eating cheap thrill ice cream and everyone laughing at us as we carried out the transfer-the-ice-cream-from-one-container-to-another operation (which of course was absolutely pointless).

I just have to mention that walking down Orchard Road at past midnight is an experience in itself. It’s empty, for one, and there are weird characters around. Four girls in makeup and interesting hair are sure to attract attention, though, so I’m not sure if the weird characters show up otherwise.

Upon reaching the hotel, we first had a problem with the lift. The card wouldn’t read and therefore the floor couldn’t be pressed. So after a trip to the reception, the problem was solved. And we went up. But as usual, one bad thing will be followed by another, and the next thing we knew was that the card couldn’t open the door to the room.

So while Ju and Hams went down again, we just sat there and camped outside the hotel room. It must have been quite a sight, and I think we looked like overdressed refugees.

After 2 trips and a bit of luck, the door decided to open. So we happily went in.

Ate and watched TV, then I enlisted the help of Ju and M to get all the 30-odd pins out of my hair. I counted them afterwards, that’s how I know.

After all the pins were out, everything still pretty much stayed in place, because, everything was hard as rock. I tried combing it and gave up so I went and washed it all out and was a whole lot happier. Everyone started undoing everything and all the makeup came off. Most of it anyway.

Then time to go home.

At home watched a French show, and I fell asleep somewhere into the second disk.

I regained consciousness around 9 the next morning and decided that I should just go back to sleep. Yx woke up at around 10 and I decided to wake up too, followed by M. Then we watched another show. M went home. Yx and I watched the first disk of yet another show. Yx went home. I went upstairs. I used the computer. I got really bored. Then it was dinner time. And I watched another different show. And I came back to the computer and decided to type this hideously long thing out.

If you’ve read until here, I admire your stamina. Really.

Anyway the photos can be found here: http://rh.gfoto.com. Go to “detailed list” and it’s under the FAM folder. Yeah.

(If you had to know, it was 1747 words, not including these last 3 sentences. I typed it out in Microsoft Word for fear of losing the entry had I used Blogger instead. It does have a nasty habit of making entries disappear.)
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment